There are a bunch of free tracks I’ve never driven in iRacing. Every few days I’m going to drive one with zero preparation and then post the fastest lap time here. That’s the delta time. Your mission, should you accept it, is to beat it (and then call me names in the comment section).
Here are the rules.
- Global Mazda MX-5 Cup, baseline setup
- Default Weather (78F, 2 MPH N, 55%, afternoon)
- 30 minutes or 20 laps, whichever comes first
[Legacy ] Silverstone Circuit 2008 National
Some of my favorite circuits are in the UK. Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, and Oulton Park immediately come to mind. I love how twisty and hilly those course are. They also have a bunch of circuits that are based on old airfields, like Snetterton, Darly Moor, and the subject of this review: Silverstone. Silverstone can be configured in several different manners, and the National is one of the shorter ones. I chose this so one because it shares nothing with the Southern configuration, which I plan on testing later.
Delta = 1:08.867
The problem with airport tracks is that they have no elevation. Creating an interesting track from a sea of flat asphalt is a challenge faced by old airports and oval infields. So what do I think of Silverstone National? It would be fun to race, and even to do time trials. Every track is a puzzle worth solving. But in the virtual world when there are so many good choices, Silverstone National is nowhere near the top of the list. I set my fast time on lap #7 and then my mind started wandering to other things. Given how little attention I was paying, maybe this delta is the easiest to beat.
In this section I’m ranking the tracks in the order of my preference. I tend to like technical tracks with some elevation, short straights, and corners that are blind, off camber, decreasing radius, and connected.
- [Legacy] Pocono Raceway – 2009 East (1:12.321, #12)
- [Legacy] Charlotte Motor Speedway – 2008 Infield Road Course (47.637, #20)
- [Legacy] Texas Motor Speedway – 2008 Road Course Short B (27.062, #18)
- [Legacy] Phoenix Raceway – 2008 Road Course (1:09.739, #17)
- Tsukuba 1000 Chicane (0:42.149, #15)
- [Legacy] Silverstone Circuit – 2008 National (1:08.867, #7)