Have you ever wondered what the fastest path around 2 cones is? I have. It has literally kept me up until 3 am. Is the shortest path quickest? Maybe the most circular path? Or is it somewhere in between like a late apex racing line? And does it matter how much power the car has, how grippy the tires are, or if it’s raining?
OK, so let’s assume you’re a contestant in some kind of reality TV game show and you have to drive around the cones as fast as possible in order to get a fantastic prize (yay, luggage). You only get one shot at this for each test.
- Car #1 is a Spec Miata. The cones are pretty close to each other. Which path A-D (above) do you choose?
- Car #2 is a Mustang with all season tires. What about now?
- They throw water on the track. Mustang again. So?
- They make the track longer and put you back in the Miata. They also tell you you have to do the whole thing in 4th gear. Which path (E-H)?
- They flood the track with water and give you a WRX. Which path (E-H)?
Check back next week for the answers.